10 ideas for free summer fun!
It’s got to that point in the holidays when we’re all running out of inspiration and money. Everything the kids want to do seems designed to empty your bank account and while the occasional treat or big day out is fun, you also need some free ways to keep the children entertained too. But it’s not always easy to think of what to do in the school holidays which doesn’t cost a fortune. So to help we’ve pulled together a few ideas for things to do on sunny days and wet days too.
Here are ten suggestions for free things to do this summer …
- Games in the park – take a bat and ball, organise silly races, set challenges in the play area. For more suggestions look at fifteen fab ideas for free outdoor fun.
- Invite friends round to play – bored kids miraculously find lots of fun to do when friends come round.
- Free entry to museums – most major museums offer free entry and often free activities for kids too. Here are the best family-friendly museums in Cheshire, Merseyside, Manchester and Flintshire & Wrexham.
- Library reading scheme – pop down to your local library to join the summer reading challenge – it’s free and there’s a certificate for every child who completes it.
- Waterplay in garden – set up a sprinkler, a paddling pool, a waterpistol, ballon water bombs or even just a washing up bowl full of water with an empty squeezy bottle.
- Bike ride – put on your helmet and go for a family bike ride – there are some suggestions for cycle routes on the Sustrans website.
- Go blackberrying – blackberries ripen August. Put on an old sweatshirt and jeans, grab a plastic container and introduce your kids to the old fashioned joy of blackberrying.
- Camping at home – erect a pop up tent in the garden or just drape a sheet across some chairs in the living room.
- Go exploring – we’re lucky to have so many beautiful free nature parks and country walks in our region. Here are some of the best places for outdoor fun in Cheshire, Merseyside, Manchester and Flintshire & Wrexham.
- Picnic on the beach – who doesn’t love sandwiches? Here are some of the best family friendly beaches for a day out.
Need more inspiration? We’ve got lots more suggestions in our blog Unplugged! 100 free things to do this summer, 8 easy children’s games to play outdoors and free things for kids to do at home on a rainy day.