Tips for holding a children’s party on a budget
It doesn’t have to be expensive to hold a kids’ party. We’ve got some top tips for holding a great child’s party without spending a fortune.
Children’s parties can quickly turn into a game of parental one-upmanship. It’s easy to get carried away with the idea that you have to hold a big, expensive party just because other families at school are doing it. Kids want to fit in and you don’t want to let them down, but there are lots of ways to give your child an enjoyable and memorable party without blowing your budget. Remember, most other parents feel the same way, and will really appreciate you setting the example by holding a children’s party at a reasonable cost.
The trick is to keep it simple, restrict numbers and follow these practical tips.
- Work out your budget and stick to it.
- Keep the numbers down. Don’t feel obliged to ask the whole class.
- Don’t assume party entertainers and dedicated party venues are the expensive option. Ring round and get quotes. Sometimes they can offer great value compared to buying in activities and gifts to take home. And if you go for something a bit different like a craft or outdoor adventure party, you might be able to dispense with buying frills like balloons and party bags.
- If you go down the professional route, look for discounts. Some companies offer good discounts e.g. 10% off if you quote “Kidsguide”. See Kidsguide’s party entertainers pages.
- Hold the party mid-week. Many bouncy castles suppliers, party venues etc. offer generous discounts for mid-week hire.
- Make your own invitations. Your child will enjoy designing their own invitations which you can print off or photocopy cheaply. Better still email or message the invitations if you can.
- Share with another family. If there’s another child with a birthday at a similar time, why not hold a joint party and split the cost. This works especially well if they have the same group of friends.
- Make your own food. It’s nearly always cheaper, tastier and healthier. Take a look at our tips on how to keep children’s party food simple and fun party foods kids can help make.
- Don’t make too much food. Excited kids will probably just pick. So have a variety of small snack foods but don’t make too much – you’ll be eating sandwiches for days!
- Serve squash and water in jugs – not expensive branded drinks.
- Take advantage of special offers. Sweets, biscuits etc. are often on special offer so think ahead and stock up when you see non-perishable goodies on offer.
- Ditch the party bags. The other parents will thank you. How many mini plastic yoyos does one child need? It’s usually cheaper to buy one decent small gift e.g. a colouring book and pens from a pound store than party bags full of small “disposable” toys. And, importantly, it’s more environmentally friendly.
- Consider holding the party at home. Hiring a hall will add to the cost.
- Don’t buy expensive decorations. Maybe your children will enjoy making decorations? It’s all part of the fun build-up to the party!
- Play traditional games that need no special equipment. They’re not old-fashioned – kids still love them!
- Keep it short – 2 hours is plenty.
- Relax and have fun!
Still worried that it’s all getting out of hand, see our blog on stopping the madness of today’s kids’ parties! What does your child really want?
Need some help? Take a look at these great party professionals
Cheshire, Wirral, Liverpool, Manchester, Wrexham and Flintshire
Create the most unforgettable pamper party
Our fabulous kids’ pamper parties are perfect for parents wanting to create an unforgettable celebration for their child or teenager.
Perfect for those aged 7 -16 years of age.
Your daughter and her friends will each choose 30 minutes of pampering, a goody bag full of beauty essentials is provided for each party guest and of course the birthday girl herself. Goody bags are packed with nail polish, nail files, sweets and nail stickers.
Treatment choices include, 10 min manicure, 10 minute pedicure, 10 minute facial, 10 minute hand massage, 10 minute foot massage… each guest receives
x3 10 minute treatments!
Our pamper parties are £20pp based on a minimum of 6 guests
Our parties are simple to book… we know how the stresses can be of booking parties, so we make it as simple as we can to book. We come to you, bringing everything needed to create the most unforgettable pamper party.
Amanda at Cheshire Pony Parties is now offering Unicorn Parties and photo shoots as well as her popular pony parties.
Create some truly magical memories of your child with a unicorn party or photo shoot – a real life unicorn, striking natural orchard backdrop and stunning photos to remember your
School holiday activities also available.
Amanda is known for being fantastic with children and delivering amazing parties and other activities.
During a party the children will groom, decorate and ride a unicorn PLUS enjoy some themed craft, with plenty of facts and tales to entertain the children from a lifetime with
Max 16 children, aged 2-10
To create magical memories of your child visit http://cheshireunicorns.co.uk/ or call me on 07954 016179
For birthdays and other special occasions why not try one of our fabulous fun parties.
For boys and girls aged from about 4 years upwards we have great parties which take place in our fantastic themed party rooms. A Glamour room with pink chandeliers and a huge Hollywood style makeover mirror and a nail bar and our Fun Room featuring a dance floor, mirror ball and a non-alcoholic cocktail bar. Mums might even be tempted to book their own party for an evening of preening and pampering!
We provide drinks and party nibbles such as sausage rolls, carrot sticks, crisps and biscuits.
Each child comes away with a balloon, an individual souvenir photo and any hair accessories used.
Don’t forget to request your complimentary party invitations.
The party lasts for 2 hours and costs £14.95 per person. Minimum of 8 per party please.
We offer mixed and just boys parties, they can also enjoy wash-out coloured hair, face paints and tattoos as well!
Choose from one of these fabulous themes:
- Ahoy Matey Charlie’s Pirate Party – How about this for a swashbuckling idea for you liver bellied landlubbers – for boys and girls
- Little Princess Party – A fab party that is aimed at 4 – 6 year girls
- Glamour and Glitz Party – A glamour party that is aimed at 7 – 9 year old girls
- Charlie’s Cocktail Party – A sophisticated glamour party that is aimed for ages 10+ years.
For more details, please check out our website.
Comedy, Magic, Balloons, Disco and much more!
Silly Milly & Jolly Molly Show will entertain your children with comedy, magic tricks, balloon models, games (with prizes!) and disco parties, for 1 hour, 11/2 hours or 2 hours depending on preference.
Excellent entertainment & 100% reliable.
Birthdays (Birthday Child guaranteed to feel special!)
Schools & Nurseries
Garden Centres, Fetes & Events
Guaranteed fun, laughter and happy children!
Silly Milly & Jolly Molly are CRB checked & have Public Liability Insurance.
Like Silly Milly & Jolly Molly on Facebook
Follow Silly Milly & Jolly Molly on Twitter
Follow Silly Milly and Jolly Molly on Instagram
Having entertained children with her pony parties since 2008, Amanda now also offers fun
chocolate parties for both children and adults as well as small group workshops and
chocolate fun during school holidays.
Children find out how I melt the chocolate, then they make a chocolate lollipop as well as
dipping various ingredients into chocolate and decorate them. They’ll also taste various
chocolate types and flavours. Finally, all their produce is wrapped up to take home.
Amanda offers various party options to cater for different age groups.
Amanda’s chocolate parties have been described as ‘amazing’ ‘fun, educational and
interactive’ and ‘best morning ever’.
Min age 4, max 20 children. Based Kelsall, available throughout Cheshire.
For a fun, tasty party visit www.CheshireChocolateStudio.co.uk or call me on 07954 016179
Hello! We are DNA Kids, the award-winning children’s party specialists! We offer 17 exciting parties that are perfect for 4 – 14 year olds, including disco & games, themed, magic, wacky science, sports and teenage parties… phew! For our full range of parties please go to dnakids.co.uk
Our children’s parties are bursting with fun to entertain the children from start to finish. Our disco & games based parties’ include:
• Cool kids’ disco with colourful lights
• Bubble, snow or smoke machine
• Awesome music-based party games
• Disco dancing sections – incl. all their favourite songs
• Prizes, certificates, activity sheets, invites & thank you notes
• Add a hilarious magic or science show for even more fun!
LIVELY LOCAL ENTERTAINERS
Our brilliant Manchester & North West based kids’ entertainers will take complete control of the party, so that you can sit back and enjoy the fun too!
STAR OF THE SHOW
We will take every opportunity to make the birthday child feel ultra-special, including them receiving their super-cool birthday medal in the DNA Birthday Kid Grand Presentation!
With 28 years experience and over 55,000 kids’ parties performed, we have the expertise to make your child’s party a stress-free and enjoyable experience. See our glowing reviews on Netmums, Facebook and Google!
For further peace of mind, we provide you with written booking confirmation and replacement entertainer cover. We are also public liability insured and our entertainers are DBS checked.
CALL US TODAY!
Our friendly party advisers love being helpful. For further information, quotes or bookings, please call us on 01245 401 401.
*** SPECIAL OFFER FOR KIDS GUIDE CUSTOMERS!!! ***
Get £10 off your DNA Kids party and a free additional bubble, snow or smoke machine when you quote KID-10 at time of booking. Please note: cannot be used with any other offer. Excludes 1 hour parties.
Mon to Fri: 9am – 6pm
Saturday: 10am – 4pm
Sunday & Bank Holidays: Closed